Our Rillbank Team is based at 14 Rillbank Terrace which is part of the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh – known to many as the Sick Kids. Rana and Nadine work part time and Veronica manages the team as well as providing support to many families herself.
Looking after a child in hospital can have a big impact on family life and there are many practical ways in which we can offer support. Here are some examples:
- Funding applications including assistance with travel costs
- Benefits such as Disability Living Allowance
- Massage therapy on the ward (with our trained therapist, Susan)
- Advocacy at meetings with hospital staff
- Access to counselling
- Assistance with arranging to leave hospital (‘discharge planning’)
One of the most important roles for our staff is to provide a listening ear, as many families simply appreciate someone to talk to. Kindred has had an office base at Sick Kids since 1991 and we work closely with the hospital staff including Family Support, the Drop-In Centre, the Hospital Consultants and Specialist Nurses. Most of our referrals at the hospital come from hospital staff.
Kindred’s Rillbank Team is available from Monday to Thursday, 10 am – 2pm.
There is currently no drop in service at Rillbank but you can contact them by calling our Helpline on 0800 031 5793 or by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org