Visits can take place, particularly where there are compassionate grounds. These can include;
- If you have any concerns about the wellbeing of an individual in our care;
- Where the visit involves a child under 18 who is visiting a parent, grandparent or sibling; or
- Where the visit involves an individual in our care who is under 18
The safety and wellbeing of all those living and working in our establishments remains our priority and, as such, individual establishments may put local measures in place in line with public health advice.
Virtual visits continue to be available.
HMP Edinburgh's Visitor Centre remains open providing remote support to families phone calls, emails and social media.
Prison visits are an important way for families to stay in contact while a family member is in prison. All Scottish prisons offer regular visiting opportunities for families to visit their loved ones in prison, and most offer special events and family days around holiday periods and throughout the year.
Special visits are available for children visiting their parents in prison. These visits offer children an opportunity to spend time with their parents in a more relaxed environment than a normal prison visit. Find out more about Children’s visits.
The majority of prisons in Scotland now have a Visitors’ Centre service for family members visiting the prison. Visitors’ Centres are a vital service that:
- Improve the visits experience for people visiting their family member or loved one in prison by providing facilities and refreshments
- Provide families access to independent and impartial advice, information, and support; and
- Voice the needs of families affected by imprisonment to the Prison Service.
All Visitors Centres are operated by not for profit organisations, which are independent of the prisons they work alongside. Each centre is managed by friendly, professional staff who provide a welcoming, family-friendly area which can offer information, support, or help to families visiting the prison.
Find out more about Visiting someone in HMP Edinburgh...
How is a visit arranged?
The Scottish Prison Service website https://www.sps.gov.uk tells you how to book a visit at the prison you wish to visit.
Please see https://www.familiesoutside.org.uk/publications/information-sheets/visiting-someone-scottish-prison